This is the last weekend before we move my partner out to College Station, TX. The last three months or so have been a whirlwind: we found him an apartment, he got his Texas A&M acceptance letter, we planned several visits, and we considered one of the things we want out of our next move together.This weekend, we hosted a BBQ with friends and family to celebrate the transition and new beginnings. It was a great time. We also went to a new trail this weekend and did a bit of walking (and snapped a couple photos, including the image featured here).
Cancel Amex Plat Card: I canceled the Amex card this week! They prorated the annual fee. I’ll get 240 bucks back. All in all, we spent $260 to have the card, and earned $850 in airline tickets and travel (and peace of mind). So, we came out ahead on this one.
Posts I enjoyed last week
There were a lot of great posts published last week.
- FI Fighter shared the fourth part of his journey to 1 million in net worth by age 30 (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4)
- Emily at Evolving PF shared an update on her ‘money puddle’ and expenses. Emily and her husband recently finished grad school and just relocated to Seattle from Durham, NC.
- Bert and Lanny both shared their recent expenses and dividend income reports. I always enjoy reading the Diplomats’ updates. These guys bring in respectable dividend income and both have enviable savings rates.
- Ryan shared his recent purchase in WMT and an update to his dividend income portfolio. I really enjoy reading Ryan’s purchase and portfolio updates.
- Retire Before Dad put some serious capital to work last month, and published a summary about his progress: Income Investment Update.
- Henry published “Why I Read.” We all have our own personal reasons for reading. I enjoyed hearing his perspective on the topic.
Posts Last Week
Posts from July
- How much I spent on Starbucks coffee my first 3.5 years of grad school
- Dividend Dashboard
- Our version of frugal
- Amazon versus Wal-Mart
- We made a wooden desk out of a door
- DGI Investing on a Low-Income
- A major life transition
- Fee-free stock investing with Loyal3
- Reward points to fund travel for dual households
I upped the mileage again this week and was able to pull my daily average to 6.82 miles. The 50k is on October 23rd, so I still have a bit of time to get into good form for the run. The most I moved in a single day this week was 10.47 miles on Tuesday. I’m looking forward to a couple of runs in TX and some longer runs around town when when I get back to FL.We also have a run coming up in November, at Disney in Orlando, Florida, called the Wine and Dine. It’s a half-marathon. I’m looking forward to that race because it will be a chance for my partner and I to visit with one another, while sharing in hobby that we both love (we met running). Not to mention, we love the theme park and think DIS is a fantastic company. We both hold some via Loyal3. The price has dipped recently, offering an opportunity for us to pick up more, which we are considering. The company has some strong franchises in the product pipeline with Inside Out, Star Wars, plus several new Pixar films, including Finding Dory (the sequel to Finding Nemo, slated to come out 2016).As the move kicks into high gear and we begin our trek from FL to TX, things will slow down around here a bit. We will pack up the Uhaul on Wednesday and hit the road Thursday. We plan on getting into TX on Saturday morning. We’ll be making two pit stops to visit family and friends along the way. I’ll pick up here close to my return to FL and publish some posts about the move, TX, and our new normal.Hope everyone had a great weekend,Dylan