I can’t believe it’s already August. Here in (North Central) Florida, the afternoon rains are in full-swing. It’s like clockwork. I can almost guarantee when I leave work that it will be raining.I made some progress on the Dividend Dashboard this week, and now it reflects Dave’s most recent update to the list (07/31/2015). I’ve gotten some really useful feedback in comments and e-mails, which I’ve used to make changes.
Dividend Income Progress
- Dividends received: $2.02 in my Loyal3 account ($0.47 KO, $1.55 DIS) (better than 0!)
- New purchase: Early this month, I started an entry position of 7 shares in WPC at a yield of 6.24%, adding $24.02 to my annual dividend income. WPC is a real-estate investment trust that has caught the eye of many dividend growth investors recently. Management has grown revenue a staggering 40.4% over the past three years, and their net income has more than tripled in the same time frame. And it looks like (I hope) this growth will continue, as they continue to acquire high-quality properties around the globe. Most recently, they acquired a $26 million logistics plant owned by Scania (a Swedish auto maker).
- Goal progress: So far, I’m meeting my goal set for monthly contributions.
I spent a lot of time reading this week. Everyone is putting out great articles. My ‘to-read’ list is getting longer than my ‘read’ list, but here are some of the posts that I have enjoyed so far.
- “Five Reasons Why Florida Might Be The Best State To Seek Out And Achieve Early Retirement” by Jason (@jasonfieber) – (being born and raised in Florida myself, I tend to agree!)
- “Ending a Short Chapter in my Career” by Bert (@DvdndDiplomats)
- “Rent vs. Buy: If You Have to Ask, You Should Probably Rent“: Mr. Money Mustache (@mrmoneymustache) revives an old debate in his latest post
- “Some Excerpts From A Good Annual Report“: Henry shared a gem of a shareholder letter from asset manager DHIL
- “What’s Your Lifetime Wealth Ratio?“: by Joe (@retirebyforty)
- “Lifestyle Inflation Illustrated” by Ali (@AnythingY0uWant)
Other Stuff That Made Me Think
Fresh Posts on the Blog
- How much I spent on coffee my first three and a half years of grad school
- Dividend Dashboard (post) & Dividend Dashboard (page)
- Our version of frugal
- I also put the visualizations for decades of growth for Wal-Mart and Amazon on new pages.
- I’m doing pretty solid with my goals here. I averaged 6.63 miles per day this week. My longest run was 9.95 miles on Monday.
- The 50k seems far away, but the end of October is swiftly approaching. I still have some solid workouts to get in before I’m ready for the race.
In other news, we started watching season 4 of American Horror Story. We watched the first 3 seasons on Netflix and fell in love. It’s a bit campy, and the creative team is really pushing the envelope with the gore and topic matter. Maybe that’s why we like it so much. It’s different from anything else that we’ve seen recently.The move is also creeping up on us. We will be getting a U-Haul next Wednesday (the 12th), and heading out ‘West’ to College Station, Texas. We’ve penciled in 5 days for the trip, so we will have plenty of time to pack up the U-Haul, drive, and unpack, and set up the new place. Over the next week, we will be making the final preparations, gathering and packing clothes and buying some select furnishings and kitchen tools.Hope you all had a nice weekend,Dylan