For awhile now, I’ve been using the smaller portion of a larger, two-piece L-shaped desk that my partner is taking to Texas. We considered simply buying a new desk, since it’s mid-summer and most stores are running back-to-school specials. Especially in our college-town.But rather than buy a pre-fab desk that we aren’t totally satisfied with, we decided to get a little crafty and build one. Awhile back we were on our way from from a Carnival Cruise back to our home town and we stopped by Ikea for some inspiration. That’s when we saw this desk.I liked this desk because it had some qualities that I was looking for:
- Heavy weight: I wanted the desk top to have some good weight to it, and I wanted a solid, confident surface at which I could work. I wanted the table to reflect how I wanted to feel when I sat at it.
- Width: I wanted the desk to be wide. Wide enough to set up pictures and organize files, but not so wide that I couldn’t comfortably reach over to the backside of it.
- Length: I wanted the desk to be long, really long! I wanted to feel like it extended beyond me for miles.
- Height: I wanted it to be slightly more elevated than a sitting desk, or kitchen table. I wanted to be able to stand at it.
- Color: I wanted to be able to stain the top with a walnut-like stain.
- Legs: I didn’t want the legs to intrude into a lot of the working foot-space of the desk. But the legs needed to be able to support the heavy weight of the working surface of the desk. The Ikea desk was a little bit much in terms of ‘under the hood’ wood work.
The Ikea desk provided good fodder for thought, but we took to Pinterest for some more ‘research.’
My favorite pinterest wooden desk
DIY Wooden Desk
Being the craftsmen that he is, my partner suggested a Lowe’s trip ‘just to see what we would see’ in terms of materials for desks. We wound up leaving with a door made out of Lauan wood, a commercial lumber from Southeast Asia. We stained the desk with a walnut stain and sealed it, and he worked all weekend building sturdy A-frame legs to support the full weight of the desk top.I’m very happy with the quality of the desk and the ambiance it adds to the apartment. I already spend a lot of time at the computer and writing, and this desk is going to make that time significantly more enjoyable.